Tuesday, November 13, 2007

#9 online apps, tools, technology

Have signed up ok for zoho but can't load zoho writer - have tried several times and after long minutes of waiting, have given up. I think I get the idea though, and see that it could be useful at SLV for all those wanting applications (word processing, spreadsheets, etc) that are not loaded on the public pcs.

It is hard to remember now how we did things pre email, and pre pc-on-every-desk, but some years ago we were giving refresher training to a staff member who had been on quite extended leave, and as we ran through the job as it now exists we realised that just about every aspect of our work had changed - the staff member was quite overwhelmed.

Had fun with some web 2 award winners, though city guides 'yelp' and 'yahoo local' seem to be US only so far; 'upcoming' took me automatically to my city, but it's pretty Sydney and Melbourne dominated so far; I can see myself using 'cocktail builder' for recipes based on what's already in my cupboard; can't actually imagine anyone using 'fuzzmail' more than the once, just for fun; and 'one sentence' seemed fairly gimmicky and useless too - give me a haiku any day:
"Serious error.
All shortcuts have disappeared.
Screen. Mind. Both are blank."

"Yesterday it worked.
Today it is not working.
Windows is like that."

"Out of memory.
We wish to hold the whole sky,
But we never will."

1 comment:

elmo said...

Most problems with Zoho can be alleviated by switching from MS Internet Explorer to Firefox.

If you've already tried it with Firefox, please forgive my presumtion.